Friday, March 25, 2011

Cultural Speed Bumps


View from the back of the Bus

As part of our field orientation we had to take a PMV (public motor vehicle, ie..Bus) into town and go to the open market.

This is my new buddy Aute

We went with Dave our language teacher and Aute, our language helper (his name is pronounced “ouch” but drop the “ch”, now say “table” but drop the “ble”). Anyway, the market was quite impressive. The selection was great and the prices were a lot cheaper than our little “gate” market on Monday & Thursday.

Goroka's open market

Amidst the chaos, things were surprisingly organized. There was a tomato section, a lettuce section; the kaukau (pronounced cow-cow, their sweet potato) was in another area, ect….. Everything has the price clearly marked with little tags. Unlike South America, there is very little bartering going on, just people and produce everywhere.

Kerri with my "work Bilum"

Before you even get into the market there are folks out front selling bags. Large bags (like 100 lbs rice bags), medium and small size bags with a strap. These are called Bilums (bee-looms). Everybody here carries a bilum. The ones sold outside the market are work bilums, made of nylon feed sack material. I bought a large work bilum and quickly filled it up with fruit and veggies. The main object of this trip was not to get our veggies but to use the language we have been learning as we shop. People are gracious with us as we learn. As long as you’re willing and able to laugh at yourself you’ll be fine.

My nice "Man Purse"

Later in the day, as we walked through town I saw a nice woven bilum and decided to buy that one too. So now I have “two man purses”, one for veggies in the open market and one for just shopping around town in the stores.
While on this little outing to the market, I crossed over two cultural speedbumps. Two things happened that brought me a little closer to feeling comfortable in this new culture.
Owning a bilum and sort of feeling comfortable carrying one is one speed bump. The second one is really more like a stone wall than a speed bump.
In PNG it is not really culturally acceptable for Kerri and I to walk around holding hands.  We’re told that would be like making out on a park bench. However, it is not uncommon to see ladies holding hands with ladies nor men holding hands with men. It means that you are friends. To see two guys walking down the street holding hands has nothing to do with homosexuality, it has everything to do with friendship.
Well, as Aute & I were walking through the market, Aute was explaining things to me, answering my questions, and then it happened……Aute took hold of my hand as we were walking along. There I was walking through the market holding hands with a man. My first reaction was one of fear and panic. “Oh man, what do I do?” …… I wanted to pull my hand away and quick stick it in my pocket.  Then I realized what was happening, Aute was being a friend. He was not trying to hit on me, he was just saying “hey, we’re buddies”. The hand holding actually only lasted for a few seconds but that was enough for me. However, as I gave it some thought, it was an encouragement to me. I have PNG friend! Aute is probably not a believer, but is a "good guy". He is from the Benabena people, a different culture, a different language. Although our ability to communicate is very limited at this point, we are starting to establish a friendship.
Holding hands with a guy while carrying a man purse is not a speed bump that I want to go over too many times but if we (both Kerri & I) are able to keep things in cultural perspective then we will be able to adjust to PNG much quicker. This is a land in desperate need of the gospel. The enemy is here working overtime to keep these people in darkness. If it means them seeing the light of Christ, then we will go over the bumps and trust Him for the grace needed.
God is Good…..All the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment